Wednesday, May 31, 2006

2 years old!

Hey! Sorry for my longer than expected absence. Had a bit of a crazy weekend, heading north to York and then all the way down south to London, so I was criss-crossing the country quite a bit. A good friend of mine came down too on Sunday and was around till Wednesday morning, and it was really, really good to see him and to have extended chats over coffee about everything from anime to theological issues and encouraging each other in our walk with the Lord. He is a first-rate exegete, often pointing me to the Bible and ultimately to Jesus, and helping me to see things I never noticed before.

In addition I'm covering for my CU rep these 2 weeks as she has exams, leading a study on Daniel 5 today and will be doing a session expering the missionary or international heart of God next week, which I'm looking forward to leading!

Lost amidst the madness of my Finals is one quite important fact, however. I have now been blogging for 2 whole years - this blog having turned 2 a couple of days ago. My sophomore year in blogging was definitely a struggle, as I had to deal with more responsibilities in real life plus the ever-present workload of studies. Often that left no time or energy for blogging, hence I never ever got into any semblance of routine or regularity.

It's been quite fascinating though, to examine more closely the medium of blogging itself and recognise why I struggled with feelings of ambivalence regarding blogging the past year. Drawing from my literary training, I recognise that I had trouble figuring out who my implied audience were. Also, thanks in part to me diving deeper into the late Walter Ong's Orality and Literacy, I was able to see that the blurring of boundaries between speech and writing - the "secondary oral culture", to use Ong's terms - had contributed to my indecision about where to pitch the tone of this blog. (Now you know what happens to English majors, they become so self-conscious about everything that they end up saying or writing nothing of substance!)

Anyway, I will try to blog more regularly over the next few weeks, and hopefully over the next year. Stay tuned. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home