Sunday, July 13, 2008

Resurrection Messiah myth

Haven't followed this closely at all. In fact, I don't remember seeing it reported much in the media here. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's the story. Anyway, am not really perturbed by it, since we get something like this every once in a while, but just thought I'll mention it along with some observations from Darrell Bock, well-known Jesus scholar. Another resource I'll recommend is Jesus: Lord or Legend?, from the pens of Greg Boyd and Paul Eddy, as it is pretty strong on the relationship between Jesus and the myths of the day.

Also, rather randomly, have recently thought more about why resurrection matters - that it doesn't just vindicate Jesus as Lord, but also acts as a seal (guarantee) of the resurrection of his people on the final day, and as a sign pointing towards the kingdom restored. I noticed too that there is actually more stress on the resurrection in the proclaimation of the gospel in the NT than I thought. Haven't really thought that through though.

Labels: , ,

Post a Comment

<< Home