Monday, June 16, 2008

Random meme

OK, OK, I'll do your meme, Deb. :-p Sigh, isn't this a serious blog? Are you sure you didn't mean the blues crooner? 'Cause this meme's making me all bluesy...no no, just kidding.

But firstly, should mention this post: Art, Nudity and Sex and the City, which I noticed after they linked to my SatC post. It's a good one.

Meme time:

1. Were you named for anyone?
My dad apparently took a liking to the name of an Irish king and hence, my name, which apparently means hill or strong or noble or something along those lines.

And you have no idea how many times my nickname has inspired the Burger King joke. I should eat there for free considering the free publicity they get.

2. When was the last time you cried?
No idea, but I'm sure it was this year.

3. Do you like your handwriting?
Sure. It's not too bad, although my mum begs to differ. Interestingly, apparently I write Chinese characters beautifully, although I don't know what they mean most of the time.

4.What is your favourite lunchmeat?
With Deb here, it's definitely pork.

5. Do you have kids?
I'll be worried if I had any I didn't know about!

6. Would you be friends with you?
Errr....I don't know really. I always thought that I'm a bit of a boring person. But I've always had an interesting variety of friends. Anyway, ask my friends on this score.

7. Do you use sarcasm a lot?
Er, not really, I don't think so. But I do like ideas of inversion so often found in irony.

8. Do you still have tonsils?
Should do, unless aliens took them away.

9. Would you bungee jump?
Actually, I hate to admit it, but probably not.

10. What is your favourite cereal?
Honey Stars!

11. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
No. Have you seen my shoes?

12. Do you think you are strong?
Er, again, ask my friends. Although I've survived Finals, I've survived mugging, I've survived a robbery, I've survived a depression in the family. But really, that's God grace, isn't it?

13. What is your favourite ice-cream?
I don't know much about ice-cream, but I do remember liking Haagen-Daas Pralines and Cream.

14. What is the first thing you notice about people?
Not sure. Possibly their mannerisms or speech.

15. Red or pink?
Red.

16. What is your least favourite thing about yourself?
I would like more courage, I think. I'm non-confrontational, which can backfire when a conflict requires facing it head on, and working through my feelings more.

17. Who do you miss the most?
I think it's my 2 good friends cum movie-buddies from Oxford days, especially as I know we'll never be able to re-enact such moments again. But I think I might miss S too, who has invested in a friendship with me in the past 2 years and did look genuinely disappointed when he discovered tonight that I'll be on the move from London in a couple of months.

18. What colour pants and shoes are you wearing?
Brown, no shoes.

19. What was the last thing you ate?
Mango.

20. What are you listening to right now?
Radio isn't on; just the sound of the cars whizzing by on the main road. I think the last track played on this computer was Leigh Nash's Ocean Sized Love.

21. If you were a crayon what colour would you be?
Blue? Cyan? Something not overly flashy.

22. Favourite smells?
The ocean. After the rain. And actually, nicely done-up hotel rooms, if you know what I mean. Oh, and cats. And any kind of tasty food.

23. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?
JT (no, not that one), wanting to know if "I've been hired!"

24. Favourite sports to watch?
I love watching most sports. Basketball, football, badminton, tennis. I can even watch golf if I have nothing else to do. But I draw the line at lawn bowls, and I don't understand cricket.

25. Hair colour?
Red and gold....no, just kidding. Black. I think people would be concerned for the state of my soul if I ever dyed my hair.

26. Eye colour?
Brown

27. Do you wear contacts?
Nope.

28. Favourite food?
Tough one. I really like my mum's ang zhou bak though. And next time I'm home, kampua mee is first on the list!

29. Scary movies or happy endings?
Happy endings. Which, btw, should be differentiated from sappy ones.

30. Last movie you watched?
I rented Michael Clayton recently on DVD, and I have to say it was superb. I recommend it.

31. What colour t-shirt are you wearing?
Gray.

32. Summer or winter?
Summer.

33. Hugs or kisses?
Hearty bearhugs are great!

34. Favourite dessert?
I don't really do desserts much, but British desserts are generally nice, whether it's toffee pudding or banofee pie or apple crumble. Just as long as there's not too much of it.

35. What book are you reading now?
As usual, more than one - very bad habit. There's a fascinating one by the Harvard neuroscientist Steven Pinker called The Stuff of Thought, which I picked up at half-price. I've also been dipping into Ajith Fernando's Jesus-Driven Ministry and Tim Harford's The Undercover Economist. Oh, and I've finished The Poisonwood Bible.

36. What is on your mousepad?
My mousepad is a newsletter.

37. What did you watch on TV last night?
I don't own a TV, but last Thursday, I borrowed one so that I could stay up late and watch Game 4 of Boston Celtics-LA Lakers, which was a real treat for me as it's the first time in years I've watched an NBA game. It was worthwhile too, as the Celtics made one of the biggest comebacks in Finals history. I think I'll stay up for Game 6 tomorrow too.

38. Favourite sounds?
You know the atmospheric sounds you hear on crime shows when the cops are just crusing around the city? Or to put it another way, if you've ever listened to Death Cab for Cutie's Brothers on a Hotel Bed or U2's City of Blinding Lights? No, you don't know what I'm talking about? :( Well, I like that. I like things that have a rhythmic quality to them too. A nice poetic couplet read out loud is good.

39. Beatles or Rolling Stones?
Beatles. I know more of their songs.

40. What is the farthest you've ever been from home?
I think Stockholm might be it. That also happens to be one of my favourite holidays.

41. Do you have a special talent?
Can't think of any. Well, a friend of mine used to say: "Your diplomacy is amazing!" but I don't think that counts as a special talent.

Deb, whis is this meme so long? And why, yarn? I've suffered through it, so you better be suffering with me too!


† Expand post

Labels: ,

Blogger Tim said...

"...and i dont understand cricket..."

how long have you been in the UK for, again? hehehe. i would have thought that you would enjoy the game, actually. it's one for the intellectuals as much as for the purists.. :)

1:23 am  
Blogger debibo said...

Suffered??? Whinge whine pout sulk. I know someone else who likes honey stars. I didn't make the meme up so aint my fault. So there. i remember your mum's red wine chicken...

3:10 am  
Blogger BK said...

Tim, although I'm somewhat flattered that you infer that I might be an intellectual, I can assure you that if you really know me, that notion would soon be dispelled!

Now you know how badly I've assimilated. :)

9:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home