Thursday, May 03, 2007

The wrap

Believe it or not, this is the first wrap of the year; I did a mini-one back in February, but haven't constructed a proper one since. So here are some goodies; albeit possibly a little dated since I've hung onto some of these for quite a while.

I have to confess to not following the various debates and controversies regarding the Subashini case closely. For those who don't know, it's a test case involving religious conversion, the respective legal jurisdictions of the civil and syariah courts, and the Malaysian constitution. So you can see it's an extremely important and sensitive issue for Malaysia. David Tan has an impressive roundup of links - keep scrolling down - and has been keeping a close eye in general on his worthwhile blog! Malik Imtiaz Sarwar, the lawyer involved, also blogs extensively on this and other nation-building issues. In addition, some people have also set up a website on Article 11 of the Malaysian Constitution.

I've mentioned Mark Meynell's book Cross Examined plenty of times before, and I'm glad to say that he's now blogging. I've been following enthusiastically. Among his recent posts, he alerts us to the fact that the granddaddy of evangelicalism (at least in the second half of the 20th century) John Stott is retiring from public ministry. He pays tribute to Stott's achievements. Also, Mark has written a fine, reasoned reflection on the atonement in light of some recent debates over it here in the UK . Similarly, Daniel Strange also has a lecture on the atonement - The Many-Splendoured Cross and seeks to positively proclaim the bigness of the cross. Both are in PDF format.

My friend Deb wrote a fine post a while back on authority and the fatherhood of God. Well worth reading. Authority and anger is a sequel of sorts. Meanwhile, my former pastor is interviewed on preaching. I was invited for the Simeons course he mentions but I was just too busy last year (not to mention not very confident!). Edwin commented on one of my recent posts; I've never met him, but he knows some people from The Agora and is currently doing a PhD in historical theology in Edinburgh. He group blogs at The Conventicle. One of his mates shared a hilarious video here - especially for those of us who are a little too much in love with our gadgets!

This has been linked to quite a lot, but Pearls before Breakfast is an excellent piece of feature journalism. The Washington Post paid a world-famous musician to bask on the subway to see how people would respond, and this led to further musings on beauty, the busyness of our lives etc. Speaking of subways and streets, the iMonk has a post on giving money to people on the street who ask for it. This is certainly something I had to think about for a little bit because I actually do pass many beggars/homeless every day and it's hard to know how I should steward my money.

Finally, the full story of the 3 Christian publishers killed in Turkey in epistolary form.


† Expand post

Labels: ,

Post a Comment

<< Home