Sunday, September 18, 2005

I'm taking a break from theology

"Our commendation of the good news of the kingdom of God comes most powerfully in our obedience, not our defense. A credible intellectual defense does not carry the same weight as active submission to our King. When the world sees that He reigns in us, they will be forced to confront His claim of Kingship. If we merely speak of Him, He is not honored and the world is not drawn." - Stephen at WhollyHis.
OK, so I'm not really taking a break, not if theology is simply defined as the knowledge of God, or as John Frame puts it, the application of the whole Bible to the whole human life. But in reacting against the anti-intellectualism of the day, let us not swing to the other side of the pendulum and over-intellectualise what being a Christian means as well. Even propositional truth has relational implications.

And if you're wondering why I'm posting this, it's because I need to remind myself that I'm not just a student of the King, but His subject. Amen.

Blogger discordant dude said...

I like John Frame's definition of theology too. Reminds me that theology must always lead to doxology in our lives. Beautiful quote there from Stephen at WhollyHis. And nice blog! Has a lighter touch in your layout ;)

7:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home